Sunday, January 6, 2013

Books

Hi again

My Mum just loves reading books, every night she reads a book and often in the daytime too.  Tonight she went out and left us with Grandma so she could meet up with lots of other people who like reading books.  Now she's home and I'm having a nap but keeping my eye on her, just in case.   She's just downloaded a new book to read ready for the book club next month, and it's called Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern. Sounds as though it's a funny book to me.

As for my day, well I had a lovely walk on the beach with Mum, Percy and Dylan.  We played quite a lot of ball and I am better at that than Percy now.  Dylan kept barking because he didn't want to play ball, just chase stones into the sea when he got Mum to throw them.  I also love weaving between Mum's legs and suddenly diving into a down when she asks me to, you never know what I'll do next for her.

I'm getting the idea of not pulling on my lead now, discovered it means we don't get anywhere and it takes an awful long time to get to the beach or the woods.  So today I crossed the road from the car park to the grass without pulling at all even though Dylan and Percy were with me - that's a first.

When Mum isn't thinking about me and the other dogs at the moment, her brain drifts into either Jane Eyre or Wide Sargasso Sea.  She was reading a printout of "Colonialism and the Figurative Strategy of "Jane Eyre" today by Susan L. Meyer (in Victorian Studies, Vol 33, No. 2 (Winter, 1990)) and I could tell she had picked out the author's main arguments, but the problem is that they all rest on believing that Bertha (most commonly known these days as the Madwoman in the Attic) was black, not a white Creole but black.  However Mum has read Jane Eyre very closely and nowhere does it say she was black, seems Meyer is just surmising this from quotes about people having dark eyes, olive complexions and dark hair, problem is, Bertha is like that, indeed she is described by Rochester at one point as tall, dark and majestic, but then Blanche Ingram is tall and dark but her eyes are imperious.   Luckily all I have to think about is the best way to have fun and that is getting pretty easy, just do what Mum wants.

Bed time now so until next time.

Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment